Friday, July 12, 2013

Yesterday, we went to a Buddhist Pagoda where we meditated.  Meditating was very neat and relaxing.  The Buddhist Pagoda that we visited had the largest free standing globe architecture in the world.  My Chacos are holding up great since we often have to take off our shoes and walk in mud, but many of the floors are made of marble and with all the rain, I’m surprised I haven’t slipped yet.  India is very wet.  I wasn’t prepared for all the rain.  I brought an umbrella by chance more than anything. 

I’m eating very well.  We ate all three meals yesterday, which may have been too much.  The hotel is very hospitable.  Amid gave us Christmas cakes.  I liked the one that reminded me of fruit cake.  Most the group liked the one similar to pound cake.  We ate lunch the resort that belongs to a friend of Dr. Waters.  Koran was very nice in sharing his time with us.  The meal was vegetarian and it was delicious. 

I slept really well for the first time.  I know the malaria meds are working because I had my nightmare.  I dreamed that I was getting married. 

At breakfast today, I began to feel nauseous and had to take Motrin.  Anyone who knows me well knows that it is unlikely that I will take any medicine.  After a while, I was fine. 

We were supposed to go to the Mosque, but it was too dangerous to walk to the Mosque.  I’m a little disappointed that we were unable to go because I would have gone even with the danger.  The walk was slippery that someone in our group fell.  Today is the start of Ramadan so I really was excited to see such an important religious ceremony that I know little about.  

We went to see Vishnu’s wife and were given a marking on our forehead for hope of finding a spouse. 

We went to the best maintained garden in Mumbai where we were rained out and had to call it a day.  There was an Indian family who took our groups picture and many of them wanted to be in the picture. 

I’m not afraid of trying new things or going adventuring which I’m surprised by.  I’m just willing to go and see.  I’m not sure I’ll ever return to India so I want to take advantage of everything I can.  I hope our team will warm up to trying more things.  My background with growing up in a military family is so beneficial on this trip.  I know what it’s like to be a minority.  I’ve tried everything served to me except for the buttermilk, which I didn’t drink so I wouldn’t get sick.  The server said it was good for digestion and I knew that meant it would go right through me.  Other than this morning, I haven’t been sick.  This is just an exciting time in my life to travel and I’m very grateful for the opportunity and support McMurry, my family and friends have provided.

My roommates are excellent and we are getting along really well.  We challenge each other with tough questions about what we are experiencing and I’m really appreciating that. 

I’m excited to see our team grow and be more giving to each other.  We are so blessed to learn about other religions during our time in Mumbai. I know it will only help me to understand my faith better.  Indian people are more focused on serving others to bring themselves happiness.  These people radiate joy.  It’s peaceful to be around the hotel staff or Amid.  I’m really enjoying my time in India thus far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment